17 January, 2011

The Dystopia Challenge

I have decided to go on and sign up for another challenge. I'm probably committing myself to too many, but I cannot help it! I feel like a little kid in a candy store - with enough money to actually buy something. 


One of my "New Year Resolutions" was to read a lot more seriously this year, to keep a log of what I read, what I thought of it and what books in intend to read at some point. As a homeschooler (I am enrolled in a form of Distance Education) who's just about to start my VCE's over three years.. I'm doing distance education as I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have severe panic attacks. As I dropped out of mainstream schooling I also developed agoraphobic tendencies (due to just shutting down when my panic attacks happened almost twice a day) - which honestly, really screws with your life. I am slowly trying to restart my life. It's hard, and sometimes makes me just want to crawl back into my room and never come out, to just stay safe and in my very small comfort zone. I'm working with Eve (my lovely psychologist) to try and get my anxiety under control. 


My original point there, before I went of on a mini rant, was that I'm starting with three VCE subjects to start me off this year. I was looking into picking up another subject and then released that I was going to have a lot on my plate this year.  My family is about to start moving out and then rebuilding our house, we plan to get to England and France in september (which is very daunting to a girl who can barely even look at a car - let alone go in a moving one), my reading, getting my self fit again, working on reanimating myself, working with Eve... oh and so much more I got this year! 


Reading has helped me a hell of a lot these past few years, and I really want to get a little more serious about it (as I said before). So thats why I'm signing up to these reading challenges.


Oh and I will just say.. English has never been my best subject and probably will never be. I find writing quite difficult, just getting what I want to say down on paper is a task within it's self. So sorry for any grammar or spelling stuff ups. 


Moving on....
Sitting in my favourite arm chair, watching Midsomer Murders, I am attempting to choose the books for The Dystopia Challenge hosted by Dutchie over at BA Reading Challenges. I urge you to go have a look and sign up for one of her challenges!



Dystopia Challenge



Heres what you need to know about it:
The Dystopia Challenge starts one minute past midnight, 1st of January 2011 and end the 31st of December 2011 (if you find this challenge later you can still join in though as long as you finish before the end date) so make sure you decide on your books, what level of challenge, and let me know before then!
How To Participate
1. Decide which challenge level you'll be doing (further below) - post-apocalyptic is also allowed seeing as they cross over sometimes..

2. Create your own post to let all your readers know you’re taking part in the challenge and at what level (if you're really proficient you can list your books!). Make sure to link back to this page with either one of the buttons or a text link..
3. Use the link form below to enter into the challenge by sharing your challenge post url and your name (either your name, blog name, or both).Please don't use the comment form to participate, only to comment on the challenge or something else..
4, Submit your reviews (if you choose to review them, but that is optional) on the review page.
5. When you’ve completed you’re challenge let us know on the completion post. If you're using a tag or category I recommend sharing the link back to that so everyone can find them

Challenge Levels

1. Asocial–  Choose 5 books to read
2. Contagion – Choose 15 books to read
3. Soldier – Choose 30 books to read
4. Drone – Choose 50 books to read
5. Conditioned – Choose 75 books to read


For extra hard challenges
1. Brainwashed – Choose 76-125 books to read
2. Totalitarian – Choose 126-200 books to read


Dutchie has a list of books you can look at for inspiration if you're having trouble coming up with some.


I am going to be doing the Conditioned level.
This is what my list looks like so far, may be added to or changed.


1. The World Ends in Hickory Hollow by Ardath Mayhar - more of a post-apocalyptic novel, but I ordered it from bookdepository before I signed up for this challenge.


2. The Postman by David Brin - another post-apocalyptic book i'm afraid (and there is sure to be a few more)


3. The Declaration (The first book in the Declaration series) by Gemma Malley
4. The Resistance (The second book in the Declaration series) by Gemma Malley
5. The Legacy (The third book in the Declaration series) by Gamma Malley


6. The Death Cure (The third book in the Maze Runner trilogy) by James Dashner - Coming out this year


7.  Inside Out (The first book in the Inside Out series) By Maria V. Snyder
8. Outside In (The second book in the Inside Out series) by Maria V Snyder - Coming out 1st March


9. Rash by Pete Hautman


10. Unwind by Neal Shusterman - Yet another book on order from Bookdepo


11. Among the Hidden (The first book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
12. Among the Imposters (The second book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
13. Among the Betrayed (The third book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
14. Among the Barons (The fourth book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
15. Among the Brave (The fifth book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
16. Among The Enemy (The sixth book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
17. Among the Free (The seventh book in the Shadow Children series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix


18.  The Limit by Kirsten Landon


19. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami 


20.  The Knife of Never Letting Go (The first book in the Chaos Walking trilogy) by Patrick Ness - I am REALLY looking forward to reading this series!
21. The Ask and the Answer (The second book in the Chaos Walking series) by Patrick Ness
22. Monsters of Men (The third book in the Chaos Walking series) by Patrick Ness


23. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
24. 1984 by George Orwell 
25.  The Children of Men by PD James 
26. The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
27. Armageddon’s Children by Terry Brooks
28.  The Running Man by Richard Bachman 


29. The City of Ember (The first book in the Ember series) by Jeanne DuPrau
30. The People of Sparks (The second book in the Ember series) by Jeanne DuPrau
31. The Prophet of Yonwood (The third book in the Ember series) by Jeanne DuPrau
32. The Diamond of Darkhold (The fourth book in the Ember series) by Jeanne DuPrau


33. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - another post-apocalyptic novel
34. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
35. Divergent by Veronica Roth - out sometime in May
36. The Giver by Lois Lowry


37.  Incarceron (The first book in the Incarceron series) by Catherine Fisher
38. Sapphique (The second book in the Incarceron series) by Catherine Fisher


39. Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines
40. The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman

41. Birthmarked (The first book in the Birthmarked series) by Caragh M. O'Brien

42. Floodland by Marcus Sedgwick
43. Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari


44. Lockdown (The first book in the Furnace series) by Alexander Gordon Smith
45. Solitary (The second book in the Furnace series) by Alexander Gordon Smith
46. Death Sentence (The third book in the Furnace series) by Alexander Gordon Smith
47. Fugitives (The fourth book in the Furnace series) by Alexander Gordon Smith
48. Execution (The fifth book in the Furnace series) by Alexander Gordon Smith


49. Exodus (The first book in the Exodus series) by Julie Bertagna
50. Zenith (The second book in the Exodus series) by Julie Bertagna


51. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
52. Genesis by Bernard Beckett
53. The Sky Inside by Clare B Dunkle
54. The Walls Have Eyes by Clare B Dunkle
55. The Secret Under My Skin by Janet Elizabeth McNaughton


56. Life as We Knew It (The first book in the Last Survivors series) Novel by Susan Beth Pfeffer
57. The Dead and the Gone (The second book in the Last Survivors series) Novel by Susan Beth Pfeffer
58. This World We Live In (The third book in the Last Survivors series) Novel by Susan Beth Pfeffer


59. Feed by MT Anderson
60. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson


61. Skinned (The first book in the Skinned trilogy) A novel by Robin Wasserman
62. Crashed (The second book in the Skinned trilogy) A novel by Robin Wasserman
63. Wired (The third book in the Skinned trilogy) A novel by Robin Wasserman
64. 
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.


Ok thats all I have for now.. but it will surely be added too soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment